All you need to know about becoming a member.
- Access to any regional or national event that TARS runs (subject to any booking fees payable)
- Access to (and the chance to sail in) one of Arthur Ransome’s boats at TARS events
- Membership of a regional group
- Meet up with fellow enthusiasts and share your interest with others
- Opportunity to try events and activities described in Arthur Ransome’s books, such as archery, camping, dowsing, exploring, sailing, and walking among others
- Publications: four Society mailings delivered annually. The publications received depend on membership type, more details of which are available on the Publications pages.
- Talks on the author and related subjects of interest
- TARS Stall: a mail-order service, offering books (including audiobooks), back issues of publications, videos & DVDs, and additional items, such as badges, burgees, maps & pens.
Members can also use the TARS Library, giving them access to a number of books which Arthur Ransome wrote, read, and/or had in his own library for reference. In addition, the Library also holds volumes in the Mariners’ Library series, a growing number of Carnegie Medal winners and other books of interest to Ransome readers.
Members are given the opportunity each year of subscribing to the publication of a new Ransome-related book which is not available outside the Society.
How to Join
Complete the Application Form as appropriate, print and send together with the correct UK or Overseas fee (please make cheques/checks payable to TARS or The Arthur Ransome Society Ltd). Alternatively, complete and submit the Application Form on-line and pay by credit card or PayPal via our PayPal page.
- Application Form – For all UK and Overseas applications (except Australia and NZ). PDF available here. (Ignore any crossing out)
- Australian and NZ Application Form – Link to Application forms for Australian residents (in Word & PDF)
UK and all Overseas applications (except USA, NZ and Australia) should be sent to: The Membership Secretary, TARS Ltd, Abbot Hall Museum, Kendal, Cumbria LA9 5AL (U.K.) firstname.lastname@example.org
USA applications should be sent to the national co-ordinator, Robin Marshall, TARS U.S. Coordinator, 210 18th St NW, Bradenton FL 34205-6845 USA email@example.com
Canadian applications should be sent to the national co-ordinator: Mr. F. Ian Sacré 4389, A750 Donegal Place, North Vancouver, BC, V7N 2X5 firstname.lastname@example.org
Australian applications should be sent to the Convenor of AusTARS, Dr Nancy Endersby-Harshman, 11 Brenda Grove, Tecoma VIC 3160. email@example.com
NZ applications should be sent to Cheryl Paget: 26 Tanner Street, HAVELOCK NORTH, 4130, New Zealand. firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Information and Renewals
Subscriptions are due on 1 January each year. Members joining between 1 October and 31 December can effectively enjoy up to 15 months membership for the price of 12, as they will not need to renew until the second January after joining.
Please renew by sending the relevant subscription to the membership secretary or if abroad to your coordinator at the addresses shown above. Alternatively, you may renew by Standing Order or by credit/debit card via the PayPal page, but please give your membership number (on your mailings).